Prefer the Command Line?
Just because Pharo developers are addicted to our live, dynamic IDE does not mean that we do not value automatic scripts and love the command line! Zeroconf scripts automatically download everything you need to get started. It will recognize your platform and load the appropriate VM version. - Adapted from the Deep Into Pharo book.
Have a look at the Zeroconf Website for more information.
To run Pharo you need platform independent image, changes & sources files, and a platform specific VM.
When downloads are completed, uncompress all files and put them into the same directory (this directory should then contain a .image, .changes, and a .sources file). Then start the VM.
- Pharo 4.0 image & changes
- Pharo 4.0 sources (you will need it if you download image and VM separately)
- Mac OSX virtual machine
- Windows virtual machine
- GNU/Linux virtual machine - Besides the generic binary, there are pre-built VMs for systems with libc < 2.15 (e.g. Debian 7 "wheezy"), and CentOS. NB: If you're on 64-bit GNU/Linux, see our instructions to prepare your system
The minimal image is a reduced version of Pharo 4.0: You have the most basic environment and you can interact with it via command line. WARNING: For hackers only!
Development version: Pharo5
If you want to contribute you will need the latest development version:
- Download latest Pharo5 image: http://files.pharo.org/get-files/50/pharo.zip
- CI Server: https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/
Downloads of previous versions are available on the Pharo file server.